Thursday, January 10, 2008

do we love his church?

Twice now I have read the words to Derek Webb's song "The Church" - the last song on his album on the church entitled "She Must and Shall Go Free" - as a part of a teaching at Church of the Apostles:

I have come with one purpose
to capture for myself a bride
by my life she is lovely
by my death she’s justified

i have always been her husband
though many lovers she has known
so with water i will wash her
and by my word alone

so when you hear the sound of the water
you will know you’re not alone

(chorus)
‘cause i haven’t come for only you
but for my people to pursue
you cannot care for me with no regard for her
if you love me you will love the church

i have long pursued her
as a harlot and a whore
but she will feast upon me
she will drink and thirst no more

so when you taste my flesh and my blood
you will know you’re not alone

(chorus)

there is none that can replace her
though there are many who will try
and though some may be her bridesmaids
they can never be my bride

(chorus)

Last night (Wednesday) we looked at "Being the Church." The big idea was the communal aspect of it, mostly from Ephesians:
> God's mystery, the plan for the fullness of time - to unite all things in him. We, therefore, ought to "make every effort" to maintain the unity (1:10; 4:3)
> the church is Christ's body, which is joined together by every joint (a "joint" is where members of the body come together, so that it can function effectively - like a small group) (1:23; 4:16)
> those alienated from each other built as a temple (living stones) into a dwelling place of God in the Spirit (2:11-23)
> we noted all the "one another" commands in Paul's letters - love one another, pray for one another, forgive one another, bear one another's burdens, instruct one another, agree with one another, accept one another...
> small group involvement is a practical application
> bottom line, we're talking about intentionality. And warning about privatized, self-guarded religion. We have been baptized into the name of the Father, Son and Spirit - an eternal community, and this is the model for life in the church. Are we immersed in the life of God, the holy Trinity? Or have we protected some areas from that immersion, that saturation, that transformation? (such as private areas of our lives we don't want others to see...)

I guess the reason I wanted to post the lyrics to "The Church" is that I meant to point out the sacramental inferences - to water, and flesh and blood - and that Webb is reminding us that even the sacraments tell us that not only is God with us, but we have a people, a family, and when we hear the water splashing in the sacrament of new birth we know we have another sister or brother, and when we eat of the broken bread or cup of salvation we know we are one body (1 Corinthians 10:17). The commitment he showed in what he endured for us and our salvation, and the steadfast love he shows in redeeming his lover, his bride, he indeed calls us to embrace and express toward the same.

"You cannot care for me with no regard for her
if you love me you will love the church."

No comments: