Monday, September 28, 2009

Pumped about Plumpy Nut

I was asked to visit Summerdale Peanut Company this morning to pray with the workers for safety and a bountiful harvest. It was a bit of a last minute thing by the owner, who asked me in church yesterday as they are beginning their crazy push to process the peanut harvest over the next month or two. A big concern is safety, as there are a lot of moving parts and people work a lot of overtime (and get really tired) to make extra money.

The owner, Joe, went through our last new member's class in which we spend a session talking about our work as ministry. Ministry is not just what I do. We are to glorify and serve God and his world in all we do, including our work or "vocation." Tim Keller speaks of all work as a form of gardening - taking the raw material of creation and working with it for the sake of human flourishing. Joe remembered this and out of concern for his workers and as a sign of dependence on the Lord asked me to come out.

So I went to Summerdale Peanut Company and shared a little bit and prayed with fifteen or twenty people who chose to come to a short prayer service on the front porch of their office building. Joe sent me the following video regarding Plumpy Nut, as one beautiful way that peanut growing and processing does indeed serve the common good. It's encouraging, but only if the product gets to the children that need it. What can we do to make that happen??
(I'll post a synopsis of my words to the Peanut workers at "The Restoration Project")


No comments: