Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Why Do I Run?

So why do I run?

I shared that I was asking myself this question last week, as I prepared my sermon on endurance. Again, the call to endure always has that context of struggle / trial / distress on the one hand and the promise / reward / joy on the other. We do not endure to earn something or convince God we deserve a reward, but to realize what has been promised but not yet fully realized.

Why I run:

I run because I can.
I run because I like to run.
I run because I feel better physically when I run.
I run because I feel better about myself in general when I run.
I run to improve myself, to push myself beyond my present limits.
I run to eat (but more and more I eat to run - there is a difference).
I run because I am vain and narcissistic.
I run because I don't want to be fat (or because I want to look good).
I run because I like people to know I'm a runner, that I'm still active and an athlete.
I run because, even though sometimes it's really difficult physically and/or mentally, sometimes it's the best experience and a great feeling to finish a long, hard run.

There you go, the good, the bad and the ugly.
God give me grace to trust in your goodness and grace as my deepest truest consolation, hope and joy.

Speaking of "why do I run?" Here's the trailer for Saint Ralph -


No comments: