Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Love and violence

“But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you…” (Matthew 5:44)

Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount teaching on the advance of his kingdom through hearts transformed by love obviously has far-reaching consequences, in our families, our communities and nation, and our world. I shared Sunday about “creative non-violent engagement” as Jesus’ “Third Way” of responding to evil (rather than violence or withdrawal), and how often we “do violence” in our hearts when we do not (cannot) love our neighbor, let alone our enemy.

Ultimately, Jesus lived this to the full when he went to the cross, neither violently attacking those in power nor running away into the Judean desert. Along the way to the cross he taught us, in Matthew 18, how to engage one another when we experience conflict, offense, or sin in our relationships. In essence, he said, “creatively and non-violently engage one another (and guard your heart in this process!); don’t attack, don’t hide; go and talk face to face seeking restoration and reconciliation, if that doesn’t work then slowly expand the circle of people committed to bringing about restoration and reconciliation… trust me, and know this, I’ll authorize your loving and courageous engagement, I’ll hear your prayers, and truly, I’ll be there in the midst of you.”

I’ve been thinking of an old and beautiful song that came out of the Jesus movement called “Charity” by Kenn Gullicksen (check it out on YouTube). It’s basically 1 Corinthians 13. The refrain is my prayer for me and for us:

If I have not charity

If love does not flow from me

I am nothing

Jesus reduce me to love

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

david babikow said...

Good stuff Mark.