Monday, November 05, 2007

American Gangster

Wow - this was a rough movie, but a powerful look at corruption, greed, power, selfishness, sin and death... and on a huge scale. These reminders are important, even though disturbing.

http://www.americangangster.net/

And here's a review of it at crosswalk.com:
http://www.crosswalk.com/movies/11558378/

We saw a documentary last night with the real Frank Lucas and Ritchie Roberts. The movie, and the documentary leaves me sad and grieved. It causes me to continue to ask, "How can I, can we, as followers of Jesus, make a difference?"

It also makes me thankful.
I have never been offered drugs, not in Junior High, High School or college or since. I'm sure there are a number of reasons why, but first, it the grace of God. It was a gift of my parents living in the protected suburban town of Lynnfield, Massachusetts, and of having great friends. But there were drugs there. My Catholic upbringing helped, and again, my parents instilling the fear of discipline and a ruined life, and the belief that I could have a "prosperous" life (and I mean this in a good, healthy sense).

And of course, thankfulness which is so key to a healthy life, ought to lead to some kind of action. Not just continuing to avoid vices, but to take action for the healing of the world.

Lord, thank you for all your gifts - give us grace to be people and build communities that heal the world around us. With all humility and wisdom and courage. With your gifts of healing and love and truth. We give ourselves again to fulfill our baptismal covenant, and to continue your ministry on earth. Amen.

No comments: