Friday, November 30, 2007

praise for the Messiah


Advent begins in a couple of days. One of my traditions is listening to Handel's Messiah, a lot. I've already started.

I commend it to you. Even if you're not wild about opera like me. (I basically hate opera. I guess Les Miserables is considered opera, and I did like it. ) Anyway, the Messiah is awesome. It's actually called an oratorio.

When I was ordained a priest at the Cathedral of the Advent in Birmingham, I requested the choir (and one of the paid singers) sing "And he shall lead his flock like a shepherd." It was perfect.

It's all about Jesus. the whole thing, over and over.
And it's all Scripture, one after another.

The story goes that Handel locked himself into an attic room or inside a garden temple and had his food brought to him and did not emerge until he had written the whole piece with every part for voice and instrument. Here's some more background from Wikipedia:

> "In the summer of 1741 Handel (age 59), at the peak of his musical prowess but depressed and in debt, began setting Charles Jennens' Biblical libretto to music at his usual breakneck speed. In just 24 days, Messiah was complete."
> "Although the work was conceived and first performed for Easter, it has become traditional since Handel's death to perform the Messiah oratorio during Advent"
> It was premiered during the following season, in the spring of 1742, as part of a series of charity concerts (aiding local hospitals for the mentally ill)"
> "Handel conducted Messiah many times and, as was his custom, often altered the music to suit the needs of the singers and orchestra he had available to him for each performance. In consequence, no single version can be regarded as the "authentic" one."


I'm very thankful for, and blessed by, Handel's Messiah.
All praise and honor and glory and blessing be to Him!!

1 comment:

Tom said...

I am a Southern Baptist living in the State of Kentucky USA. I have for most of my life enjoyed and listened to The Messiah many many times. I am listening to it as I write this comment. At one time I had a complete list of all the scripture and the story that went with The Messiah. My favorites have changed much over the years at first it was without a doubt The Hallelujah chorus, but now it is pretty much the whole thing. I have been a baptist preacher most of my life and now I am almost 62, but this still brings tears to my eyes and much appreciation for what the Messiah The Lord Jesus Christ has done for me.