Friday, February 27, 2009

a lenten prayer

The Lenten Prayer of St. Ephrem the Syrian


I've finally (after probably six years since Julia Babb gave it to me) I have begun reading Great Lent: Journey to Pascha by Alexander Schmemann. A couple of years ago Jason Campbell, a pastor at Trinity Vineyard (our son Mark's church in Atlanta) also asked me about it and was very positive about it.

Here's a prayer the Orthodox pray in Lent, it is read twice a day, with prostrations. Schmemann says it could be called the lenten prayer.

O Lord, and Master of my life!
Take from me the spirit of sloth,
faint-heartedness, lust of power, and idle talk.
But give rather the spirit of chastity,
humility, patience, and love to Thy servant.
Yes, O Lord and King!
Grant me to see my own errors
and not to judge my brother;
For thou art blessed unto age of ages. Amen.

No comments: